Thursday, August 23, 2012

Last Night in the Grocery Store

Last night in the grocery store, an employee stopped me. He said he didn't know if I remembered him, but when I was in the store with GL, last week, he'd said hi.

"Oh, yes, you're Colin. He's been talking all week about how his buddy said hi at the grocery store."

"Well, I didn't have time to stop and talk then, but I wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed working with GL when I volunteered in the Special Ed classroom. I'm leaving for college next week, majoring in business, but I almost changed my major to Special Ed because of him."

I told him that I'd been worried about sending GL to high school, wondering if he'd have any friends. "But he has so many friends, the best part of high school turned out to be that all over town, wherever he goes, he's always running into his buddies from school."

"Everybody likes GL." Colin said, "He's a lot of fun. He's such a neat guy."

It was nearly closing time, and the last few shoppers were making their final selections. We chatted another minute or two, I thanked him, and left with a full and happy heart.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger kathleen said...

That is lovely. I think sometimes, that we focus so much on our children...so much on meeting their needs..we are consumed with schedules and services..getting them through their day..that we forget how other people-the people who see them day in and day out are impressed by them..by their personalities..by who they are as human beings.I am glad you had this experience...

September 24, 2012 at 6:41 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home