Thursday, December 9, 2010

Guest Post by Big Daddy Autism: Knock Knock

I've been meaning to ask someone to guest blog at Goldilocks and the Three Bears, but I didn't know who to ask. Would any of the bloggers I enjoy reading be willing to write for my little blog? Then one of my favorite bloggers, Big Daddy Autism started guest blogging all over the place, and I said to myself, "Self, Big Daddy writes guest blogs and is extremely funny. You should ask him to write one for you before he gets too busy and too famous." And myself said to I, "I, you're right! I'll ask him right away!" And as if it were a sign, Big Daddy wrote another guest blog. And I said to myself, "Self, you'd better get on it. His popularity is growing by leaps and bounds."

So I asked him, "If you're not too famous or too busy yet, would you please write a guest blog for Goldilocks and the Three Bears? Of course, I'd be happy to write one for you in return, if you like. I'd better start reading up on Wilford Brimley." He agreed, so today Goldilocks and the Three Bears has 87% more humor. Enjoy his post, and then click  over and read his blog, Big Daddy AutismYou'll be glad you did.



When Papa Bear asked me to guest post, I was thrilled.  Since I blog about my son and how we use humor to cope with his disability, most of my blogosphere consists of mommy bloggers.  While I consider many of these women to be close friends and wonderful bloggers, sometimes, It's nice to have a brother in arms.
Knock Knock
Regular readers of my blog know that Griffin asks a lot of questions.  There was a time when we weren't sure he would speak. But now, at 13, he appears to be making up for lost time.  With a vengeance.  His questions come rapid fire and, for the most part, either cannot be answered or have already been answered thousands of times before.
In the mornings, when I bring him to school, Griffin is usually pretty hyper and the questions come at me fast and furious.  This morning was no exception.
"Why you get mail?"
"Do you like insurance?"
"Do you know Wilford?"
"Why you put your hand on your forehead?
"Is the banks closed on Sunday?"
"Why you say shshh?"
On this particular morning I decided to mess with the boy a bit.  Occasionally, poking fun at him about his more obsessive behaviors dissuades Griffin from continuing them.   Rather than caving in and playing along with his disruptive conduct, we mock him. By not giving him the response and feedback he desires, sometimes the unacceptable behavior ceases, at least temporarily. Griffin doesn’t necessarily always find the humor in the situation, but we find it to be a gentle way to nudge him into more appropriate and tolerable behavior.
So, I decided to treat each of his questions as though it was the opening line to a knock knock joke.  For example,
Griffin:  "Why you take me to school today and not mommy?"
Me:  "I don't know Griff.  Why you take me to school today and not mommy?"
Griffin:  "Why does Captain Elevator go on vacation?"
Me:  "I don't know Griff.  Why does Captain Elevator go on vacation?"
After about a dozen of these he seemed to give in.  The questions slowed down  (Replaced of course by his most long lived stim - The Maniacal Laugh)  I knew I won this battle when he turned to me and asked a legitimate question,
Griffin:  "Daddy, can we keep the windows rolled down?"
Me:  "Sure Griff."
He promptly rolled up his window, forever proving that life with him is never predictable or ordinary in any way.




8 Comments:

Blogger jillsmo said...

Oh, Griffin, you scamp. How I adore you and your father.

"Why you say shhhhh?" = awesome

December 9, 2010 at 11:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

love it! I was right alongside you guys in the car while reading that post. go the daddy bloggers.

December 10, 2010 at 11:19 AM  
Blogger This side of Typical said...

My little dude still hasn't grasped all his language yet, but i can tell from the current babbles that he will be a talker--no doubt about the inanities of life. LOVE your strategy.

and yes, "Why you say shhhh" = awesome

December 10, 2010 at 11:20 AM  
Blogger Lynn said...

He was just messing with you with the window thing...getting back at you for the knock-knock responses.

December 10, 2010 at 11:53 AM  
Blogger Cheryl D. said...

I agree with Lynn!

December 10, 2010 at 1:39 PM  
Blogger dluvscoke said...

You are brilliant Big Daddy! I'm going to try the whole Knock-Knock bit with Cody. He's very inquisitive as well.

December 10, 2010 at 3:36 PM  
Blogger Tanya Savko said...

I love this - especially the "making up for lost time" part. I say the same exact thing about Nigel!

December 10, 2010 at 5:57 PM  
Blogger Wantapeanut said...

It occurs to me that answering a question with a question is an old psychologist trick. Thirty years from now some therapist is going to be asking Griffin, "I don't know, why do you think your dad always answered a question with another question?"

December 10, 2010 at 10:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home