Friday, August 28, 2009

Jump on the Bandwagon

I don't like to take up too many new causes or crusades, but I'm taking up this one: Cursive. I'm against it.

I'm sure some of you are aghast, and think you have solid reasons teaching children to write in cursive is necessary. I've thought of them. They don't hold water. I searched the Web for discussions of the controversy, looking for more reasons. I've made a list of 19 reasons people give for learning cursive, and written rebuttals for all of them. I had already decided not to make my kids learn to write cursive, but I was planning to make them learn to read it, just in case. I'm thinking of dropping the reading of cursive, too.

Just for fun, let's see how many of the reasons people gave for learning cursive you can guess. Some are easy, some are far-fetched, but mostly they repeated the same handful again and again as I searched to see if I'd got them all. You get 10,000 bonus points if you come up with one I missed. That and a buck ninety-five will buy you a small cup of coffee some places.

Oh, and feel free to forward this to people who might enjoy it. If you post it in a public forum, send me a link, so I can read the responses.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home