Sunday, January 16, 2011

Keeping Warm

The whole family have colds. I don't usually feel too bad just sitting around, but as soon as I try to get up and do anything, I'm tired and out of breath. And this morning I woke up with a sinus headache that won't go away. I did manage to shovel the part of the walk I wasn't up to finishing yesterday. I even got GL to help a little. He's got more energy than anyone else, and wants to go, go, go! The forecast calls for snow tomorrow, followed by freezing rain, followed by more snow. The rest of the week looks like cold with occasional snow. Time to stay close to home and make chili.

Here's my recipe:

Gringo Chili
1 lb. ground turkey
1 medium onion (Dehydrated minced onion keeps longer, doesn't need chopping, and works just fine.)
2 T chili powder
2 cans (15 oz ea.) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
2 cans (10.75 oz ea.) tomato soup

Chop the onion to the desired size. Some people like big chunks. Others like it so finely minced, it almost dissolves. Brown the ground turkey along with the onion and chili powder in a soup pot. Why dirty an extra pan? Add the beans and tomato soup, plus one can of water. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Continue heating until chili resumes boiling as soon as you stop stirring. Optional: garnish each serving with a handful of crushed Corn Chex. (The off-brand works just fine. Stir it in, and it gives a flavor like crumbled corn bread in your chili, but without the fat.) If you're a real wimp, cut the chili powder in half. It's best to let each person salt and pepper his or her portion to taste. I usually make a double batch, because that's what fits in my soup pot, and refrigerate the leftovers in individual portions in Smart Spin containers.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home