Friday, October 22, 2010

Yes, I do.

Brother Bear is not quite old enough to be a Civil Air Patrol cadet, but he has been coming to meetings with me for a while now. The cadets have been working on radio procedures, including the ICAO spelling alphabet, more commonly known in radio and aviation as the phonetic alphabet. (Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, etc.) He had some trouble remembering the code words, so when he is doing his schoolwork and asks me how to spell something, I spell it in the phonetic alphabet, pausing between codewords so he can keep up. Yesterday, he asked me, "How do you spell India?"
Using the correct proword from the regulation, (100-3, Attachment 1, if anybody cares) I answered, "I SPELL India: India..." (pause)
He laughed. "Do you really?"
"AFFIRMATIVE. I SPELL India: India November Delta India Alpha."

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Mama Bear said...

Meanwhile,I overheard this in the next room and thought they were both losing their minds.

October 22, 2010 at 3:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home