Saturday, April 14, 2012

A Milestone

Over a year ago, I posted about GL taking the garbage out. After one of the many professionals he's seen pointed out that verbal prompts are the hardest to fade, I typed up a written checklist, which we keep on the refrigerator. When he stops working, or seems confused, I ask, "What's next?" and he reads the next item on his checklist and does it. I still have a dream that someday he will take out the garbage all by himself, but at some point in the last three months, he has gotten to the point where, on a good day, having him take out the garbage is very slightly less work than doing it myself!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Lizbeth said...

I'm laughing with you because one of the chores I have Alex do is bring his plate from the kitchen table to the dishwasher. You'd think I'm asking him to take it to China. And then I couldn't figure out why the dishwasher wasn't working---because I didn't prompt him to throw out his uneaten food---it all landed in the dishwasher. Totally gross. Now we get a good laugh about all the "clean food" but gaw it was gross. I totally get this!!!

April 17, 2012 at 8:56 AM  
Blogger Daniel "Captain" Kirk said...

One of BB's chores is to load and run the dishwasher, and put the clean dishes away. Things he keeps "forgetting" are part of this chore: cleaning the screen in the bottom of the dishwasher, removing things like measuring spoons when they fall down into the screen, and looking at each item to make sure it is actually clean before he puts it away.

April 17, 2012 at 9:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home